'So,' I said, very comfortable out but real razdraz with-
in. 'Since when have you been consorting and comporting
with Will the English?'
'Now and again,' said George, 'I get around all on my
oddy knocky. Like last Sabbath for instance. I can live
my own jeezny, droogie, right?
Anthony Burgess, A Clockwork Orange
It was the achievement of one individual which
brought the Glass Bead Game almost in one leap to an awareness of its potentialities, and thus to the verge of
its capacity for univeral elaboration. And once again
this advance was connected with music. A Swiss musi-
cologist with a passion for mathematics gave a new twist
to the Game, and thereby opened the way for its supreme
development. This great man's name in civil life can
no longer be ascertained; by his time the cult of per-
sonality in intellectual fields had already been dispensed
with. He lives on in history as Lusor (or, also Joculator)
Hermann Hesse, Magister Ludi
"Religion always leads to rhetorical despotism,"
Leto said, "Before the Bene Gesserit, the Jesuits
were the best at it."
"It leads to self-fulfilling prophecy and justifi-
cations for all manner of obscenities," Leto said.
"This... rhetorical despotism, Lord?"
"Yes! It shields evil behind walls of self-
righteousness which are proof against all
arguments against the evil."
"It feeds on deliberately twisted meanings to
discredit opposition," Leto said.
"All of that, Lord?"
"The Jesuits called that 'securing your power
base.' It leads directly to hypocrisy which is always
betrayed by the gap between actions and explanations.
They never agree."
"I must study this more carefully, Lord."
"Ultimately, it rules by guilt because hypocrisy
brings on the witch hunt and the demand for
Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune, p. 117
What's your name?
You must have a name.
I'm not just anybody.
What's so hard?
Just a name!
If you want,
spell it backwards.
What's your name?
You must feel better already.
Spelled like the bird?
- First name?
What did you say?
of robbers and horse thieves...
beginner... sensitive... destitute...
specialist and layman
all in one, you might say.
One thing at a time, Mr. Raven.
Where do you live?
Where do you sleep?
Around? Here and there?
The pizzeria, "Casa dell'Angelo."
You sleep in the oven, I suppose?
- You don't believe me?
Film: Faraway, So Close! (In Weiter Ferne So Nah)
St. Louis, MO
Member for 9 years, 7 months
9 profile views
Last seen Apr 27 at 15:10
- Stack Overflow 17.8k 17.8k 33 gold badges4949 silver badges9696 bronze badges
- Music: Practice & Theory 14.5k 14.5k 77 gold badges5858 silver badges105105 bronze badges
- Code Golf 4.7k 4.7k 22 gold badges3131 silver badges5858 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 2.3k 2.3k 22 gold badges1717 silver badges3030 bronze badges
- Code Review 1.8k 1.8k 1212 silver badges2828 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 69 Explanation of C++ FAQ's unsafe macro?
- 53 How to insert a block of white spaces starting at the cursor position in vi?
- 53 What does mode_t 0644 mean?
- 50 Is there an equivalent term to "Cold Turkey" for starting something instead of quitting something?
- 49 How to enter non-ascii characters using hex or octal codes in vi
- 46 List of average genre tempo (BPM) levels?
- 41 Emulate an Intel 8086 CPU
- View more network posts →