Lightness Races with Monica
Statement regarding Meta Stack Exchange
16 Jan 2020
Certain moderators on Meta Stack Exchange have, for a while now, been in the habit of repeatedly deleting any content that expresses disagreement with their views, or that even approaches criticism of their actions. Recently this has progressed to sending "moderator messages" regarding "rudeness" when this occurs, even when no rudeness was involved.
Today, when I calmly and politely* wondered aloud, on a moderator's answer, whether using a multi-paragraph analogy to repeatedly describe the community as "children playing in someone else's playground" could be considered tone deaf, this comment was removed. On subsequently suggesting that this activity was growing tiresome, I received another boilerplate "warning", and my account was immediately suspended for seven days. The answer, along with its fairly patronising content, remains unaltered.
This is bullying.
It is an outrageous abuse of power and should not be taken lightly by anyone. We must not stand for this kind of behaviour.
It is clear that it is now impossible to form any honest dialogue or discourse with the appointed moderators of Meta Stack Exchange.
As a result, once my seven-day suspension has passed, I will not be returning to engage on Meta Stack Exchange. My engagement with Meta Stack Exchange has come to a permanent end.
Furthermore, I am going to phase out my activity on Stack Overflow, addiction allowing. This site has seen its best days, and I no longer feel comfortable contributing content for a platform run by this company. I want to thank the Community Managers (both those remaining and those who were fired this week) for their tireless hard work in building what was built, and the engineering teams (ditto) for building a great platform.
* Truly! I deliberately worked hard on that.
My contributions prior to 5th September 2019 are licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0, contrary to Stack Overflow Inc.'s claims.
- Answers in the comments section
- "Ternary operator"
- Comma splices
Member for 8 years, 11 months
67 profile views
Last seen Jan 3 at 16:41
- Stack Overflow 341k 341k 6363 gold badges553553 silver badges911911 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 32k 32k 55 gold badges7878 silver badges146146 bronze badges
- Science Fiction & Fantasy 11.6k 11.6k 33 gold badges4141 silver badges7272 bronze badges
- The Workplace 10.8k 10.8k 44 gold badges2020 silver badges4040 bronze badges
- Software Engineering 8.4k 8.4k 33 gold badges3636 silver badges4343 bronze badges
- View network profile →
Top network posts
- 565 What's the difference between "STL" and "C++ Standard Library"?
- 522 Iterator invalidation rules
- 476 Manager has noticed coworker's excessive breaks. Should I warn him?
- 406 Iterator invalidation rules
- 353 Iterator invalidation rules
- 316 Maintain hundreds of customized branches over master branch
- View more network posts →