Parts of the project
Fixing broken images. This is the most important. See this Data.SE query (set the date range to run from 2011-01-11 to 2017-03-11) for a full list of posts with images that need fixing.DONE. Star Trek tags. There's a consensus here to tag all questions about Star Trek with the generic star-trek tag. There are about several hundred of these, which can be found by this and related searches (this one may also be helpful).DONE.
Tolkien tags. There's a consensus here to keep middle-earth for questions about the region, tolkien for questions about the author himself, and a new tolkien-legendarium tag for questions about his works. This will take a lot of retagging - please see below for how you can help!
Organisation of Tolkien edits - **1. [tolkien]**
I had a look through the 905 (!) questions tagged tolkien. Most of them weren't about the author but only about some of his works, so I retagged the 71 that were (at least arguably) specifically author-relevant with j-r-r-tolkien and then mod-merged the tolkien tag into tolkien-legendarium. (Not that it really matters whether or not we include the initials in the tag name, but we do already have a distinct christopher-tolkien tag, and renaming tolkien to j-r-r-tolkien made the merging step easier. I can always mod-rename it back to tolkien if anyone objects.) At this point:
- All j-r-r-tolkien questions are sensibly tagged. Don't worry about them.
- All tolkien-legendarium questions should have that tag (I can't guarantee that the other tags on all such questions are necessarily appropriate).
- tolkien is dead, gone, and buried. (With apologies to @JasonBaker, but he'll automatically get a gold tag badge in tolkien-legendarium to replace the one he's lost in tolkien.)
This is a similar job to tolkien, but on a smaller scale (only about 300 questions to tolkien's 900). I merged this tag with tolkien-legendarium, thus retagging most of those 300 questions in one fell swoop. The rest need to be sorted out by hand, using the list I made before the merge. These are all the questions which could potentially have the middle-earth tag added back manually. (I've been quite liberal with allowing the tag to be kept; it's quite possible that some of these questions don't really deserve it.)
Please help by editing the middle-earth tag into some of these questions!
- What is the oldest object in Middle-earth?
- What was the tallest structure built in Middle-earth?
- Are any Middle Earth Mountains not hollowed out?
- Where are the Grey Havens?
- What exactly is Middle-earth in Tolkien's Legendarium?
- Do the stars move in Middle Earth
- Does Tolkien ever speak of himself still living in Middle-Earth?
- Was Beleriand Bigger than Second/Third Age Middle-earth?
- Did maps in Middle-Earth have west on the top?
- Is this map of Middle-Earth reliable?
- Is Rohan the same (country) as Arnor?
- Newly discovered map of Middle Earth: does it change anything?
- Were the Eldar watching Middle-earth closely?
- What is the first use of the term "Middle-earth" in Tolkien's works?
- Why is it called Middle-earth?
- How are the lands of the Shire governed?
- Is there a legal system in Middle-earth?
- What was the first story set in or about Middle Earth that J.R.R. Tolkien wrote?
- Are there many inns in Middle-earth?
- Did the Peoples of Middle Earth know of Beleriand in the Third Age?
- Is there a map of Middle Earth during the second age?
- What defines an age in Middle Earth?
- What happened next in Middle-earth?
- How did non-native plants find their way to Middle-earth?
- Were personal relationships in Middle-earth different from our own?
- When Eru reshaped Arda, did he also change the cosmos?
- Why was the Westron tongue accepted as the common tongue in Middle-Earth?
- Why do Elves remain in Middle Earth?
- Unknown feature on Middle-earth's map?
- Which earth locations most closely resemble locations from the works of Tolkien?
- Geographical error in the Silmarillion?
- In Tolkien's Middle-earth, how far does Wilderland extend?
- Is there evidence of purely artistic works in Middle Earth?
- Do regular folk in Middle Earth know about its creation?
- Is Middle Earth supposed to be a pre-historic England?
- Why was Saruman sent to Middle Earth?
- Where in Middle Earth could mithril be found?
- Area and Population of Middle-Earth
- Where is the equator in Middle-earth?
- Naming of Middle Earth: inspired by Norse mythology?
- Where is Middle-earth and is it flat or curved?
- What's outside of Middle-earth?
- Compasses on Arda
- Sailing West from Middle Earth as a Human
- How well-known is the theology of Middle-earth, in Middle-earth?
- If the world was flat, could one see great distances?
- Was Tolkien's "round-world version" really his definitive view of Arda?
- Is there any mention of the lands east of Mordor?
- Middle-earth maps
- Is there an Upper- and a Lower-earth along with Middle-earth?
- Is it possible that Middle-earth was overpopulated?
- Are there any holidays in Middle Earth, except Yule, Lithe, New Year in Gondor and Durin's Day?
- How exactly is Arda supposed to be an ancient Earth?
- Is Middle-Earth a time, or is it a place?
- Are any locations in the Lord of the Rings based on real places?
- Is Tolkien's Middle-earth in our Universe?
- Are there any more races in Middle-earth?
3. Everything else
There's also the questions with other Tolkien-related tags (specifically lord-of-the-rings, the-hobbit, or silmarillion) but NOT tagged tolkien or middle-earth. Since the individual work tags should of course be kept, adding tolkien-legendarium to all these questions will have to be done by hand rather than with mod-merges. At this point I may step back completely and let others finish off the job.