For the pedants: yes, I realise that "FAQ questions" looks like a tautology, as it means "frequently asked questions questions". But in this context, the word FAQ refers to the tag, so it means "meta questions tagged faq" - not a tautology.
In case you haven't noticed, we have a faq tag on the SFF meta site. This is intended to be used for the most frequently asked questions about our site, those that come up over and over again. The posts with this tag should form a reference point to which we can direct new users who are seeking to learn more about our site. (Cf. this post listing all the faq questions on main meta.)
On SFF meta, the last post to be given the faq tag was in 2012. In the last four years (almost the whole of SFF's time as a graduated site), nobody has bothered with this tag or with creating a decent FAQ repository. But now ... the times, they are a-changing.
The faq tag is a "moderator-only tag", which means only mods can add it to a question or remove it from one. The purpose of this post is to try to gain community consensus first.
Questions currently tagged faq
A couple of weeks ago, I went through the questions then tagged faq and, after agreement with the other moderators, removed the tag from several which were horribly out of date, superceded by newer questions, or otherwise no longer worthy of being counted as FAQ. Ten of the original 21 still remain:
- What's the process for getting a closed question re-opened?
- Can I ask a question about video game based scifi/fantasy?
- Are works that aren't SF per se, but have occasional SFnal elements on-topic? (e.g. spy movies)
- What questions are on-topic, and what questions are off-topic?
- What are standard internet reference sites for SF?
- Is there an RSS feed for new questions?
- Where can I ask questions that aren't Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange questions?
- How do I contribute to the blog?
- What is the policy for spoilers?
- List of common abbreviations
Some of these (especially #5 and #7, also #4 and #10) need a bit of editing, some new content added, or at least checking to ensure they're up to date. But in my opinion, all of these 10 are worth keeping as faq questions. Let me know in comments or answers if you disagree!
Questions to be tagged faq?
This is the main point of this post: to find questions on the SFF meta site which currently don't have the faq tag but which people think should have it. I'll post up some suggestions below, but I'm looking for community input here (especially from people who've been on this site longer than I have and are more familiar with its old meta posts). Please, speak up!