I recently noticed we have three tags, the existence of which kind of baffles me:
- rings-of-power According to the tag wiki, this should be a general "magic ring" tag. In practice, of the 81 tagged questions 76 of them are about Lord of the Rings, and the rest are about Green Lantern rings
- ring The tag wiki on this was just changed today (which is what got me started on this bend) to clarify its usage to Lord of the Rings-specific rings, which is what 4 of the tagged five questions are about (the last is about the movie The Ring).
- power-rings Currently has no tag wiki, and both of its questions are about Green Lantern rings
This seems like a strange state of affairs, to say the least, and one that could be improved.
As I see it, there are really three works that could get any use out of a "magic rings" tag:
- Lord of the Rings
- Green Lantern and his multicoloured brethren
- The Ring franchise, which is so popular it has two tags and one question.
There might be others, (Ringworld, maybe? but we already have ringworld) but these are the ones that seem to have attracted the current situation.
So here's what I propose:
- Re-tag ring questions with rings-of-power, and make it a Tolkien-specific tag. Realistically that's mostly what it's being used for anyway, and I don't think having a tag for Lantern rings really adds value; are people really going to say to themselves "I want to look up Green Lantern info, but only about his ring"?
- Kill power-rings for much the same reason
- Keep ring specific to The Ring. There's only one question using the tag for that purpose, but the Ring franchise is on-topic here in my estimation, and it wouldn't be the only film tag with only one question