Changes are coming to the Question Closing system. The existing Vote To Close reasons are being overhauled. We've already seen some of these changes in the Duplicate Question area. That link above has a full rundown of the changes, and I recommend reading it, but this question is for one specific area:
5. Off-topic closures will include feedback on what specifically is off-topic for that site. (new)
- Each site will have a list of its own specific pre-selected “Off-Topic” reasons (up to 3)
- Each closer will either select one of the site's standard reasons from the list (for instance, “Recipe requests are off-topic, although recipe replacements, etc. are allowed”),
- Closers can enter a free-form reason ("Your question appears to be about 'Cat Grooming', which is off-topic for Stack Overflow.")
Free-form reasons will be presented as a comments, but the close dialogue will refer the reader to the comments for more info
- Free-form reasons picked by closers will be available to subsequent close-voters on that question as one of the selections from the list
- These lists will be determined by the communities, and moderators will be able to update them, subject to review by each other, their community, and the SE team
Reasons will need to be specific enough to make it clear to most readers what is and is not allowed (off-topic reasons of the form "Things that are NOT X" will be discouraged).
This is also the place to address any closing reason that applies to one site but not others (for instance, the "General Reference" close reason on English Language and Usage is moving here).
So, what should our site's Off-topic close reasons be? Please only post one per answer.