I've started to notice a trend in adding tangential imagery to posts:
- If Galadriel had claimed the One Ring, would Sauron have become her servant, or would have Galadriel become his servant?
- How long had the Dwarves in Moria been slain before they were discovered by the Fellowship?
- Why does Arthur Dent need to bring a towel with him in the film version of "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"?
- Why was a hobbit "the most unlikely creature imaginable" to pick up "The One Ring"?
- How long do Asgardians live for?
- Why could we barely see through all Quarian's masks? (the unrelated imagery in the answer, not the question)
- Why is Slaanesh so young compared to the other Chaos Gods?
- Which A.I. has the highest I.Q. on the Red Dwarf, Kryten, or the Talkie Toaster?
Although on closer inspection, many appear to be by the same few people.
While I agree the use of illustrative and explanatory images are useful, what is the epistemic value to adding filler images like these? Was there some post or guideline that people are interpreting to mean "add images, even if they don't relate to the point the post is trying to make"? Or are these just attempts to gain up votes for pictures/unnecessary bumps? Should we be editing these out?