In principle, all our Dune tags should start with
dune so we can use wildcard searches (I think you can use a leading wildcards, but sticking to one pattern is more consistent)
Then the following token in the tag should either be, presented in order of least ambiguity:
- Books: Title, subtitle, or date (e.g. dune-1965: no title, no subtitle, date added to avoid confusion with the franchise tag; dune-messiah: subtitle taken as 'messiah', as using the full title gives dune-dune-messiah is excessively redundant; or dune-children-of-dune full title used as there is no sensible subtitle to use, and doesn't introduce excessive redundancy)
- Film: The director, the Production company, or the Distribution company. (e.g. dune-lynch: there is only one Lynch film in the franchise; dune-villeneuve: there will be multiple films, however if it's expected there to be one director across the series, we can switch to production company, etc..
- Board/Card/Video Games: Title, Subtitle, Type of game (plus Production company or Year) ( e.g. dune-card-game: no title, no subtitle and the type of game (card game) is unambiguous enough; dune-board-game-avalon: no title, no subtitle and the type of game (boardgame) is ambiguous, so add the production company; dune-imperium: use subtitle; dune-2000 use subtitle (2000); dune-video-game and dune-video-game-ii )
Finally if needed, the last token should by used to disambiguate between related media:
dune - Only for questions about the franchise as a whole, or media-agnostic questions, and not a meta tag.
Should be of the form franchise-title or franchise-subtitle or franchise-year
- dune-1965 or dune-novel (should be the only one with a date, as there is no subtitle)
- dune-messiah for the book 'Dune: Messiah' (title already starts with 'dune', so we include subtitle)
- dune-children-of-dune for the book 'Children of Dune' (title does not start with 'dune', so must prefix with 'dune' if there is space (this introduces redundancy, except where we meet length limitations. Reason being that 'dune-children-of...' should autocomplete 99.99% of the time.)
... and so on
Other entries in the franchise should follow the scheme outlined above.