Last year (2020) saw some changes to the question closure system across the SE network. These included changing the text saying "off-topic" in custom close reasons to "a community-specific reason", which inspired the SFF community to reach a consensus to create a new custom close reason for our well-established Future Works Policy. Essentially, this policy states that if a question is asking specifically about a book/film/episode/comic/etc. that has not yet been released, the question should be closed at least until the release date, to prevent purely speculative answers. (A 2018 clarification ensures that questions about already-released works, even if the answer is unknown and may be in future works, do not fall under the Future Works Policy.)
Rather late, but this meta post is to confirm the wording for the new proposed custom close reason. Note that another of SE's 2020 changes to the question closure system was introducing audience-specific texts for custom close reasons, so that the OP, close voters, privileged users, and the general public can all get slightly different versions of the same essential explanation of why a question is unsuitable for the site. That means we need to write up five different texts and include them when the mod team actually creates the new close reason.
This time, we don't need CM help, as mods can create new close reasons, just not edit existing ones in place. So I'm just going to draft up a set of wordings, get meta feedback and approval, and then we can create the close reason any time.
TL;DR: please read my answer below to check the proposed wordings.
The following image shows the different boxes that can be filled by mods/CMs with different text. The first two appear in the close/flag dialogue before the post is closed; the last three appear in post notices after the post is closed.
- The Brief description is the bold header for the close reason.
- The Usage guidance is what will appear in the close menu, advising people when to use the close reason.
- The Close description will be shown to everyone in the post notice and should be relatively short.
- The Post owner guidance appears in the post notice and is how the OP should fix the question (if possible).
- The Privileged user guidance is informative for the people with close privilege regarding what the close reason is.