Last year (2020) saw some changes to the question closure system across the SE network. One of the changes was to introduce audience-specific texts for custom close reasons, so that the OP, close voters, privileged users, and the general public can all get slightly different versions of the same essential explanation of why a question is unsuitable for the site. By default, all versions for existing close reasons are set to the same thing, since there didn't use to be any option to have different versions. Some sites already changed their close reasons by creating separate texts as the system now allows. I'm hereby kickstarting an effort to do the same thing here on SFF, but I'll be taking our custom close reasons one at a time and creating a different meta post for each one. (This was also one of the suggestions last year for "ways to improve SFF.SE".)
First up is the scientific solutions or explanations close reason, where the current text is:
Questions seeking scientific solutions or explanations are off-topic unless related directly to a cited work of fiction. There are several other Stack Exchange sites dedicated to answering questions on non-fictional sciences. For more information, see What is our actual policy on science questions? on meta.
The following image shows the different boxes that can be filled by mods/CMs with different text. The first two appear in the close/flag dialogue before the post is closed; the last three appear in post notices after the post is closed.
- The Brief description is the bold header for the close reason.
- The Usage guidance is what will appear in the close menu, advising people when to use the close reason.
- The Close description will be shown to everyone in the post notice and should be relatively short.
- The Post owner guidance appears in the post notice and is how the OP should fix the question (if possible).
- The Privileged user guidance is informative for the people with close privilege regarding what the close reason is.
Let's get a consensus on what we should put in each box.
We need CM help to edit an existing close reason, so a clear meta consensus is essential, then we can status-review it and get them to help us making the necessary changes. I'm going to post an answer below with my proposed texts; please vote and give feedback or suggested improvements if necessary.