In all the excitement of posting and voting on ads for other sites here on SFF, I almost forgot about the possibility of advertising SFF itself! Similar Community Promotion Ad lists have gone up on all other graduated sites across the network, including several which might appreciate an ad for SFF.
Surprisingly, it was quite hard to find any existing ads for SFF which were posted in previous years. I poked around a bit in past Community Promotion Ads on related sites such as M&TV and Worldbuilding, but came up blank. I did find this old meta thread from 2013, but of course all the suggestions there are with the old ad size, and some of them are also out of date.
Is there anything I've missed? Do we already have a lovely SFF ad image somewhere?
If not, let's design ourselves some ads and get promoting!
Other SE sites where we might want to promote SFF:
- Worldbuilding. As suggested by @SQB in chat, perhaps something along the lines of "build it here, experience it there"?
- Movies & TV. We need to promote our site without trying to steal traffic from theirs, so perhaps something about sci-fi and fantasy books specifically would be appropriate.
- Role-Playing Games. I don't know much about the subject of this site - suggestions welcome.
- Arqade. Again I don't know much about the subject, so any suggestions welcome.
- Aviation? As suggested by @SQB in chat, maybe something along the lines of "Fancy a change from planes? Try flying a broomstick instead!"
- Any more? (Note that beta sites don't get Community Promotion Ads, so sadly we can't advertise ourselves in this way on Writers or Space Exploration or Literature yet.)
And just as a reminder, here are the requirements for Community Promotion Ad images on all sites:
- The image that you create must be 300 x 250 pixels, or double that if high DPI.
- Must be hosted through our standard image uploader (imgur)
- Must be GIF or PNG
- No animated GIFs
- Absolute limit on file size of 150 KB
- If the background of the image is white or partially white, there must be a 1px border (2px if high DPI) surrounding it.